Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sheherazade Versus the Parrot

Let's back up for a second, because I mentioned something in that post down there about betas that's probably worth discussing as a separate matter: the authorial voice. What is it? Why do I need it? Who has one, and where can I find one?

In the plainest possible terms, an authorial voice is the way you tell a story. Pick two of your favorite mass-market-published authors. Got 'em? Okay, then: if you read one chapter by the first author, and one chapter by the second author, you notice that both of them are telling stories you love, but they sound nothing like one another. One writer might use a strict economy of words, while another one is happy to spend some time laying out minute details in front of a reader. And that's an authorial voice. Your characters (if properly developed) will all sound distinct as well, but it's the stuff that goes in-between the dialogue that determines your authorial voice.

Take an exchange between a man and a woman out to dinner at a restaurant. The first author might say something like this:

"I don't know why you bring me here," she said. "I don't like it, and you know that."

The rich red tablecloth reminded her of blood, of bloody steaks on order, because he would insist that well-done meat was money wasted. In the distant past, she might have argued her preference, but lately, fatigue called the shots, and so she offered the weakest, most obvious truth she had, then sat back to observe how he'd go about organizing her life for her.


The second author might say something like this:

"I don't know why you bring me here," she said. "I don't like it, and you know that."

He always did this, taking control and assuming things. It was annoying and obnoxious, and now he'd probably just order her dinner for her without even asking what she wanted first. Why couldn't she just say 'no' for once? Why was everything with him such a fight? She was so tired of being good, and yet too tired to be anything else at the moment.


The same thing is happening in both examples, but the authorial voice behind them is completely different. The first is a more lyrical voice, while the second is a more emotional and personal voice. And both of those styles are perfectly fine, along with an untold million other styles. Your task as an author is to figure out what your voice is, and how you convey the "facts" in the most persuasive and authentic way possible.

We've all read things that were written in a style we'd love to be able to reproduce. For me, nothing is more gorgeous than the Spartan prose of Margaret Atwood, because she is the most brutal self-editor I've ever seen, and every single thing she leaves on the page absolutely must be there. She doesn't cart around one superfluous word. That's quite a trick, because she still has to tell a story in a compelling way, but she doesn't let herself hide behind her words.

As much as I love that about her, I could never hope to reproduce it in my own writing, and the fact that I can't doesn't make me (or you!) incompetent. We just need more words to tell our story than she does.

Trying to emulate a style of writing you admire usually leads to either sad or just plain comical results. Instead, spend your time really considering how you are most comfortable telling a story. Analyze your writing to discover what you feel compelled to reveal, and the rhythm and tone you use to reveal those things. Do you focus on external details, or do you camp out in a character's feelings? Is your style poetic, or is it gritty and steeped in raw data? Your responsibility as an author is to tell a story in the most compelling possible way. Pretend that you are Sheherazade, and that telling this story is the only way you can stop the King from killing you. Obviously, if your life is on the line, you're going to make an effort to spin an engaging tale, right? Unless you listen to a lot of Depeche Mode and Morrissey, in which case, you'll keep it simple and welcome oblivion.

You want to be Sheherazade for your readers. You want to draw them in and mesmerize them, and make it impossible for them to click the little "x" at the top of the browser tab. If you're wearing a costume when you write, and trying to be something inauthentic, the reader KNOWS it. Be yourself— your most engaging and mesmerizing self. Don't be a poet if you're not a poet. Don't be "street" if you're not street. Don't use words you don't understand just to sound "smart". Be yourself. I promise, you're more than good enough all on your own.

We've all read stories that have left us with the feeling that the author is merely transcribing and reciting "facts" without injecting any soul or life into the prose. I don't care what's happening in the story—if the authorial voice is flat and dull, no amount of plot action can compensate for it. An author who is just parroting action is deadly dull to read, in the same way that an author who is parroting another writer's style is difficult and occasionally embarrassing to read. Having no authorial voice is as bad as having a false authorial voice.

As I said elsewhere in this blog, you are the sole source of oxygen and life for your story. If it's going to feel like a living, breathing thing, you need to inject your soul in there somewhere. It's what makes writing so difficult, because you are forced to expose bits and pieces of your innermost self in order to do the thing and do it well. You have to actually feel the action, and express that feeling in a visceral way. There's a world of difference between saying Bella quietly closed her bedroom door and cried hard because she was upset, and Bella quietly closed the bedroom door and sobbed until every muscle in her body ached from the effort. Both statements might be true, but in the first one, you're only getting facts. In the second, you're getting the actual experience for the character. We've all (presumably) cried. We know what it feels like, right? You need to use those experiences when you're writing; it involves risking something personal, but the reward is a story that actually rings true.

10 comments:

  1. This post could not have come at better time. Thank you.
    Here is a question that arises from this post and the previous one: Does a beta's responsibilities include a discussion of said, authorial voice? That is very much what I am struggling with. In part, I'm not getting feedback as to whether the voice is strong and in command or weak and unassuming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, and thanks so much for reading along!

    Well now, the answer to your question is a difficult one, I think. So much depends upon the relationship between the beta and the author, and the boundaries they've established. Some authors don't want their betas to do anything more than cast an eye over the grammar and punctuation, and would be extremely insulted to hear unsolicited feedback on things like the style of writing. On the whole, I leave it to the authors to approach the beta on issues like this. If an author came to me and said "Nina, can we talk about my authorial voice? Do I even have one? Is it compelling and honest?" I would be THRILLED to discuss it with them. but I don't think I'd roll up on an author and say "You're not Keats - quit pretending to be Keats, because it sounds so wrong coming from you."

    Of course, this assumes that the beta in question can even identify what an authorial voice is. If he/she can't, then there are clearly bigger fish to fry in the relationship:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well-written fanfic gives readers the luxury of focusing on the author's voice. While variations on plot and characterization are entertaining, the way in which an author chooses words and builds sentences to express something universal is what really captivates me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. It's really easy to want to mimic people, but you'll be so much better off just learning what you can from other writers and maybe incorporating a thing or two you liked in your own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoT - Thank you for the response. I am new and have yet to publish, so the intricacies of the author/beta relationship are, clearly, new to me. The beta is not in question, evidently, I am. I was under the wrongful impression that I would receive unsolicited critiques to "the voice". I welcome comments based on voice, characterizations, consistency, etc. In other words, the big stuff.
    I do not down play the importance of being grammatically proper (I've been editing this monster of a story for weeks and I still find mistakes) but it is less important to me. My beta is a wonderful writer and one whose opinion I respect greatly. It never occurred to me that she may be allowing me to set the boundaries. I feel silly now, but better about approaching her with my expectations.

    And, goodness, I hope I NEVER sound like Keats.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's always best for the author to ask specific questions of the beta. My policy is not to offer unsolicited opinions, because I don't want to get in the way of a writer's process and cause a loss of confidence as a result. I mean, you learn by making mistakes, and fan fiction is a wonderful place in which to make those mistakes. But if someone asks me a question, I will always, always answer, and answer honestly :-)

    Good luck to you! Stay away from Keats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your posts. I love you. That is all. xoxo
    ~DD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great post - I love how your blog gets me thinking more about the writing process.

    While I totally agree that authors should allow their voice to be authentic, I also think that there's room for experimentation, particularly given the age group of so many people in this fandom who are still figuring out who they are as young women (mostly). It's not a bad writing exercise to look at those writers that they enjoy, figure out what they like about them, and see if writing one scene (as you do aptly above) in various voices might help them find what's "theirs". Trying on voices like dresses to see what fits best, so to speak. There are many nuances to my own personality and one fic that is focused on romance might highlight the emotional side of my voice, while a mystery/plot-driven tale will challenge me to utilize a different one. All that is to say - I think as often as writers in this fandom try too hard to fit a mold that's not authentic (and it shows), they are also prone to trying to fit every fic they write into the same voice.

    What do you think of that?

    Oh, and Keats is my favorite poet. While I'll never compose sonnets to Twilight, I'd count myself lucky if I could grab even a tenth of his power of imagery. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jackie!

    I think that most true authorial voices are an amalgam of several styles, which come variously into play depending on the mood and subject matter, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with conscious experimentation. But what I think goes on a lot around here isn't conscious experimentation - it's just imitation, and that's not a great way to find and develop your own voice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really enjoying reading your blog entries - thank you! I'd be interested to hear what you think about how to go about planning a story, whether one-shot or multi-chapter. I've found myself struggling to go about planning multi-chapters, but find one-shots relatively easy. I think that's likely because I tend to have one idea and write one scene, which sits in my mind and flows out. This is not often conducive to writing anything more, which is maddening because plot is so important and it is very much my downfall. Any thoughts would be welcomed!

    The authorial voice is not something I've ever really thought about, but everything you have said makes sense. Maybe I will pay more attention the next time I try writing something - thank you for making me look up and around a bit more!

    Oh, and Keats is great, but Blake is better. ;o)

    ReplyDelete